Author: Kathryn Purdie
Publisher/Imprint: Katherine Tegen Books
Edition: Hardcover, 453 Pages
Publication Date: March 03, 2020
A Spine that Shines? Extremely Well!
*I received a free e-ARC of this book via Edelweiss, but ended up finishing the hardcover. All quotes used in this review come from the finished hardcover. These are my honest opinions. Thank you.*
‘Our task is to keep the balance between both worlds, the natural and unnatural, ….’Kathryn Purdie, Bone Crier’s Moon
Hello bookworms! I hope you’re all staying safe and healthy. Amid the chaos of these crazy events occurring globally, I’m pleased to announce my first 5-star read of 2020! Bone Crier’s Moon was such a satisfying read that sucked me in from the first few pages!
There is much to love about this novel:
- The chilling prologue hinted at a 5-star read. Sure enough, the book delivered what I refer to as the “5-star oomph“!
- The premise is fascinating! A group of women called Bone Criers must ferry the souls of the dead into either Tyrus’s Underworld or Elara’s Night Heavens. I love anything to do with mythology, and the mythology in this book was both chilling and gripping!
- In order to become a “Ferrier,” a Bone Crier must first complete her rite of passage by killing her one true love as a demonstration of her loyalty to the gods.
- The Bone Criers have awesome powers that come from animal bones and moonlight!
- A magical bone flute opens the Gates of the Beyond at particular times of the year.
- There is NO info-dumping! All of the information I needed was skillfully woven into the story.
- A mysterious silver owl sends signs to guide certain characters.
- I loved the setting of this book. It is a France-like kingdom, with abandoned castles, eerie bridges, and sinister catacombs! The catacombs were perfect for some of the scenes that take place.
- There is also the danger of the souls of the dead attacking the living if they aren’t ferried to the afterlife in time!
- The pacing is quick and action-packed!
- I liked the main characters and the enemies-to-lovers romance!
Characters & Romance
Here is a brief overview of the characters and romance!
- Enemies-to-lovers is my favorite romance trope! I think it was done quite well in this novel.
- Bastien Colbert is a thief. He is intent on getting revenge for his father’s death at the hands of a Bone Crier. He has trained and planned for his revenge since he was a young boy.
- Ailesse is the Bone Crier heir, daughter of the matrone. She is intent on killing Bastien, the boy the gods have chosen for her, in order to complete her ritual and become a true Ferrier.
- As you can imagine, this causes quite a bit of tension between Bastien and Ailesse! If you like romantic tension, this is definitely the book for you.
- Sabine is Ailesse’s best friend. After Ailesse is captured, she is determined to rescue her friend, even if it means defying the matrone’s wishes.
- I admired Sabine’s loyalty and dedication to finding Ailesse. However, there were some moments in the story where I felt Sabine should also want something for herself. Rescuing Ailesse can’t be her only goal in life. No one is that selfless in reality. Initially, I wasn’t too invested in Sabine’s POV chapters, but there are some cool plot twists that make her narration more interesting later in the book.
- Jules and Marcel, sister and brother, are side characters who befriended Bastien when they were children. They have been helping him plot his revenge for years.
I don’t have much else to say since I really loved this book! But if I had to poke at it with another criticism, I’d say the novel was perhaps a tad lengthy (almost 500 pages). Thankfully, the action and plot twists keep things interesting.
The character Jules also got on my nerves in several scenes. Plus, I would have liked to learn which Bone Crier actually killed Bastien’s father – and whether she’s still alive. But these are relatively minor quibbles of mine.
Overall, this was a 5-star read! I highly recommend Bone Crier’s Moon if you like mythology and enemies-to-lovers romance. I have a feeling the sequel, Bone Crier’s Dawn, will contain a lot of fun, exiting content! I can’t wait to find out what happens next! Happy reading, and stay healthy 🙂
*Content Warnings: Kissing, intimate dancing, animal killing, fantasy violence, etc.*
Copyright © 2020 by Spines that Shine (Caitlin Shaffer)
Up Next on My TBR: Ruthless Gods (ARC), Gotham High, & The Sound of Stars